[Openstack] Nodejs in horizon

Gabriel Hurley Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com
Wed May 30 23:44:44 UTC 2012

Websockets is an API for bi-directional client-server communication over TCP, not an implementation. Thereby it's not "an alternative" per se; alternatives to websockets would be long connections with chunked transfer like comet, etc. (which also have issues). There are various implementations of websockets in various languages; the Python implementations have some very serious problems (see my earlier posts in this thread, or the blueprint whiteboard linked below).

For now though, for *anyone* who's interested in that discussion, please direct any further feedback on that future feature to the blueprint (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/realtime-communication). I've linked a number of resources from the blueprint whiteboard. I recommend doing your homework and/or testing your hypotheses for Python-based solutions as there's a lot of prior work in this area that's better-off not being rehashed to death.

As far as this thread is concerned, I think we've achieved sufficient consensus on the current topic (LESS) and we'll move forward with that blueprint and code review as such.

All the best,

    - Gabriel