[Openstack] Fwd: [Infra] administration of new mailinglists

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue May 29 21:07:50 UTC 2012

On Tue 29 May 2012 10:36:05 AM PDT, James E. Blair wrote:
> Someone pointed out that since the security announcements _haven't_ been
> going to the announce list, but the main mailing list instead, that they
> are concerned that people may have missed them.  That seems like a very
> important and valid concern to me.

Same here, I'm concerned that important information is sent out through
the wrong channel, not reaching the relevant people.

> To punt and say "people will see it on G+ or Twitter or whatever" (as
> stated elsewhere in this thread) isn't good enough for a project of this
> size.  What user should they follow?  What hashtag should they search
> for?  Fundamentally, the same problems will show up

That's because, fundamentally, sending out a message to the relevant
people is a complex problem. Even if you setup the announce- list, you
still have to make sure that people will subscribe to it, and make sure
the announcers will use it properly. I assumed that since the list
existed formally but nobody cared to use it, it was not needed.

>> First of all, it's not clear to me *who* would need to send out
>> announcements. Can somebody start from there?
>
> Release team.  Security team.

Sounds good enough for me. If those teams want to take care of it, I
don't have a problem, as long as they're happy with such a tool.

> The announce list is not listed here:

> As far as I'm concerned, that means we don't have an announce list.  No
> wonder no one knew about it or used it.

I think I removed it from there a couple of weeks ago while rethinking
the whole set of mlists. It was there together with other unused lists,
I assumed nobody was interested in it. Feel free to add it back and
hand the keys to release and security teams.

> I disagree with that; people who need to see information of the highest
> importance from the project -- releases and security updates -- will
> self-select only to subscribe to the announce mailing list, and if we
> start using it properly, they will know they are getting the information
> they need.

We clearly have two different use cases in mind. Since now it's clear
that the announce list is for the release and security team, I remove
my objection to have a list for announcements.

thanks
/stef