[Openstack] Fwd: Nodejs in horizon

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue May 29 17:26:57 UTC 2012

On 05/29/2012 12:29 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> Without rehashing backstory which is available in public archives of this thread, while node is currently on the table for LESS it also may play a role
> in future needs as well.
>
> As for your link, yes there are LESS compilers in other languages (there's even a nascent one in Python that's very much not ready for prime time) but requiring PHP or any other language besides Python opens a similar can of worms, and PHP gets us nowhere on any other fronts.
>
> /me refrains from any other comments about PHP.
>
> Moreover, the canonical LESS compiler which is the best supported and most stable is the main one written for node.js. Unless there were a 100% working Python version I see no reason not to favor the "real" LESS compiler.
>
> All the best,

For LESS,  it think it is fine to use even server side Javascript.  The
CSS should be compiled at RPM/DEB build time, and not at run time for
live deployments,  so that is a bit of a non-issue.  I'd also be fine
with using the client side LESS implementation, especially if we want to
use the same implementation at development and live deployment time,
but I can understand if there are issues with doing this.

Node.js is a whole different server side technology,  and that should
not be implemented at this time.