[Openstack] Fwd: Nodejs in horizon

Martin Paulo martin.paulo at gmail.com
Wed May 30 04:18:49 UTC 2012

I want to second Adam's comment:

"Node.js is a whole different server side technology,  and that should not
be implemented at this time."

for all the reasons others have expressed in this thread.

Martin

On 30 May 2012 03:26, Adam Young <ayoung at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 05/29/2012 12:29 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
>
>> Without rehashing backstory which is available in public archives of this
>> thread, while node is currently on the table for LESS it also may play a
>> role
>> in future needs as well.
>>
>> As for your link, yes there are LESS compilers in other languages
>> (there's even a nascent one in Python that's very much not ready for prime
>> time) but requiring PHP or any other language besides Python opens a
>> similar can of worms, and PHP gets us nowhere on any other fronts.
>>
>> /me refrains from any other comments about PHP.
>>
>> Moreover, the canonical LESS compiler which is the best supported and
>> most stable is the main one written for node.js. Unless there were a 100%
>> working Python version I see no reason not to favor the "real" LESS
>> compiler.
>>
>> All the best,
>>

> For LESS,  it think it is fine to use even server side Javascript.  The
> CSS should be compiled at RPM/DEB build time, and not at run time for live
> deployments,  so that is a bit of a non-issue.  I'd also be fine with using
> the client side LESS implementation, especially if we want to use the same
> implementation at development and live deployment time,  but I can
> understand if there are issues with doing this.
>

> Node.js is a whole different server side technology,  and that should not
> be implemented at this time.
>

>>     - Gabriel
>>
>> On May 29, 2012, at 1:00 AM, "Matthias Runge"<mrunge at matthias-runge.**de<mrunge at matthias-runge.de>>
>>  wrote:

>>> If I get it right, nodejs is just required to compile LESS to css, right?
>>>
>>> There is at least one alternative without requiring nodejs:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/leafo/**lessphp <https://github.com/leafo/lessphp>
>>> --
>>> Matthias Runge<mrunge at matthias-runge.de**>

Martin Paulo, BSc.
Software Developer

Tel :         +61-3-9434 2508 (Home)
Tel :          04 205 20339      (Mobile)
Site:          http://www.thepaulofamily.net

"Nobody goes there any more. It's too crowded" - Yogi Berra.