[Openstack] Nodejs in horizon

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Fri May 25 11:33:57 UTC 2012

On 05/24/2012 08:45 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> Calling it "broken" is a bit of an overstatement. As noted previously, node.js can be installed and configured (http://nodejs.tchol.org/) on Fedora. It's just not in the Fedora default package repositories. My reading of the ticket on the redhat bugzilla also indicates that there's active work to get it included, since it's becoming a very popular and wide-spread tool.

OpenStack is packaged in the default repositories.  We can't rely on
third party repos that we don't control.  It's possible to get it from
that repo ... it's possible to just install it from source, too.  While
installing Horizon used to be as simple as "sudo yum install
openstack-dashboard".  That will no longer work.  That's what I mean by
broken (from the distro perspective).

> I'm willing to spend more development cycles over the course of the Folsom release cycle to make sure there's a path forward for Fedora users, but I haven't heard any blockers here yet. Whether those solutions include documentation, configurable options for client-side processing for users who don't wish to use node on the server-side, or other ideas... Patches are always welcome. ;-)

I believe this issue is more than just Fedora.  It's not in Fedora, RHEL
(or RHEL derivatives, CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc), OpenSUSE, which
are all distros used to run OpenStack.

> I would, however, ask the leadership of the Openstack community (the PPB?) to make some official documented decisions on distro support, though. I did a fair bit of googling and wiki searching and couldn't find any official list of supported distros for OpenStack. It'd be really helpful! :-)

I think calling anything unsupported may do more harm than good.  I
think this happens organically based on who is the most involved and
contributing to make sure that OpenStack continues to work on their
platform of choice.

But while we're talking about potential policy issues ... isn't
*everything* else server side in OpenStack Python?  Is this going to
provide things that are hugely valuable that you really just can't
accomplish using Python?

--
Russell Bryant