[Openstack] Nodejs in horizon

Simon G. semyazz at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:43:52 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM, Devin Carlen <devin at openstack.org> wrote:

> Relying on Node.js actually opens up a lot of possibilities in the future
> for us to do realtime websocket communications via node.js and still rely
> on django to do the heavy lifting:
>
> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/realtime-communication

I'm not so enthusiastic about Node.js just because it's Javascript and I've
seen what developers can do with JS. I think python is much more readable
and maintainable, so if there will be a need to overload server with
realtime communication and increase it's speed (because it's the main
advantage of node.js), maybe it's better to look for tools written in
python. I'm not and expert in python, but I read something about PyPy which
is faster than node.js and Tornado (supports websocket - afaik, and as I
remeber, it is used somewere in Openstack). As I said I'm not an expert and
for sure it will require more than I think to use those technologies, but
it's only and an idea. Right now if node.js is used only to support Less
it's ok, but I'm not convinced node.js is the best way to expand
possibilities.
*
*
Cheers,