[Openstack] Accessing VMs in Flat DHCP mode with multiple host

Michaël Van de Borne michael.vandeborne at cetic.be
Fri May 11 11:20:30 UTC 2012

Hi again,

So the problem is now solved.
I hereby post the solution for people from the future.

1. the ping between the compute and the controller was using an IP
route. So the ping wasn't using only layer 2. This means that there was
no DHCP request arriving to the network controller.
2. the hosts and the VMs should be in the same subnet
3. we needed to killall dnsmasq and restart nova-network

tcpdump on br100 is useful to track dhcp requests. ARP tables are useful
as well in order to be sure each host sees the other on layer 2.

thank you all,

yours,

michaël

Michaël Van de Borne
R&D Engineer, SOA team, CETIC
Phone: +32 (0)71 49 07 45 Mobile: +32 (0)472 69 57 16, Skype: mikemowgli
www.cetic.be, rue des Frères Wright, 29/3, B-6041 Charleroi