[Openstack] Translation and Internationalization in OpenStack

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue May 8 21:09:25 UTC 2012

> Tools
> ====
>
> I know people have strong feelings and concerns on which tools are best and which features matter most, so I've put together a comparison matrix.
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqevw3Q-ErDUdFgzT3VNVXQxd095bFgzODRmajJDeVE
>
> It features our current solution (Launchpad) and the top two contenders people have asked me to look at (Pootle and Transifex). The list of features for comparison contains the concerns voiced at the summit session, those voiced by the community to me, those voiced by the infrastructure team, and my own experience working on translations for other open source projects (such as Django).
>
> Having worked with all three tools, I would strongly suggest Transifex, particularly given that we as a community have to do almost no work to maintain it, it's the only tool that supports OpenStack as a "project hub" with shared teams and management, and it offers us a strong crowdsourced translation community.

You should also consider translatewiki (translatewiki.org). It's used
for a number of very large projects (MediaWiki and extensions used on
Wikimedia sites, OpenStreetMap, etc), and it has a large and active
translator community. For example, MediaWiki is very actively
translated in 100 languages, and has translation for roughly 350
languages total.

The translatewiki people are interested in hosting OpenStack since
Wikimedia Foundation is using OpenStack products, and translatewiki
cares deeply about our language support. In fact, they were the first
people to complain about nova's broken utf8 support, which prompted us
to push in fixes.

- Ryan