[Openstack] Has anyone tested Juju with 12.04 Essex installation?

Adam Gandelman adamg at canonical.com
Fri May 4 05:01:27 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 06:25 PM, Jorge Luiz Corrêa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 2) Pointing the host running juju to use the dnsmasq from nova-network
> is a solution. It's working. From where is it recommended to run juju?
> From an external host? The problem is that when I run juju it tries to
> connect to a name like server-12, server-13 … these names just make
> sense inside the cloud. So, for that, I presume juju must be ran from
> a host inside the cloud. Or not? Making automatic assign of floating
> ip makes juju connect to the external IP?

This would work if it can be assumed that the Juju client is on the same
internal network as the instances. In most cases, the user of the Juju
client will be issuing the commands from her laptop outside of the cloud
(imagine EC2, against which the initial Juju work flow was developed).
Juju uses boto to call the EC2 API and find out the details of instances
running in its environments. A call to 'juju ssh 0' or 'juju mysql/0'
translates to a call to describe-instances, and an attempt to ssh to the
public hostname of the instance described. As I said, by default, new
nova instances have the private, internal hostname (or IP), associated
with the instance in both the public and private hostname fields. It's
not until you associate a public floating IP that Juju knows how to
access the instance from outside the cloud. So, for the typical use case
of an outside consumer of Juju and your cloud wanting to contact
instances, the 'auto_assign_floating_ip' flag should be set. If you're
running Juju as a client from within instances, you can skip this and
have Juju address the instances directly at their private hostname (with
the dns redireting) but this is not the typical use case (so far)

HTH,
Adam