[Openstack] [client] Where will client API libraries live?

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed May 2 15:30:08 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:

> (Apologies if this has been already answered in the mailing list, dealing
> with a large backlog of mailing list emails).
>
> With the current "nova" client (python-novaclient), there are Python
> bindings so you can write Python scripts that use the API without having to
> deal with the REST interface directly.
>
> Will the new unified CLI also provide Python bindings, so people can write
> Python scripts against the libraries that ship with the CLI (like
> python-novaclient)? Or is that out of scope?
>
> The original Etherpad says this <http://etherpad.openstack.org/FolsumCLI>
>
> does it include client API libraries?
> * not directly, abstract out common ancestor classes
>
> If that's the case, where are the client API libraries going to live?

I think the plan right now is to have the new CLI use the existing client
libraries. Someone discussed another project to rewrite them to use common
libraries, but I don't see that as realistic for phase one of the new CLI.

Eventually it would be nice if all of the client libraries were in one
package and the CLI was in another.

Doug