[Openstack] devstack and api-paste.ini

Ken Thomas krt at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Mar 7 22:35:46 UTC 2012

Hi all,

There have been some recent changes to the devstack script w.r.t.
nova/api-paste.ini that puzzle me.  There's the template api-paste.ini
with various tokens that need to be substituted, and some of them are
commented out.

E.g.

# admin_user = %SERVICE_USER%
# admin_password = %SERVICE_PASSWORD%

Fair enough, but then stack.sh runs a sed script and effectively removes
those comments.

E.g. (from stash.sh)

The lines marked with "<<<<<" find the token (which may be commented
out) and then replace the entire line.

sed -e "
/^admin_token/i admin_tenant_name = $SERVICE_TENANT_NAME
/admin_tenant_name/s/^.*$/admin_tenant_name = $SERVICE_TENANT_NAME/;
/admin_user/s/^.*$/admin_user = nova/; <<<<<
/admin_password/s/^.*$/admin_password = $SERVICE_PASSWORD/; <<<<<
s,%SERVICE_TENANT_NAME%,$SERVICE_TENANT_NAME,g;
s,%SERVICE_TOKEN%,$SERVICE_TOKEN,g;
" -i $NOVA_CONF_DIR/api-paste.ini

Is it just me, or would it would be much less confusing if the config
template was closer to the final result without the need for magic sed
incantations to remove commented out settings? Is that template config
used elsewhere where it might need those comments to remain in place?
(If so, I haven't been able to find 'em.)

Thanks!

Ken