[Openstack] RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jun 29 08:40:06 UTC 2012

Vaze, Mandar wrote:
>> I particularly hate the single-line "Fixes bug 1234566"-type commit messages.
>
> I assume your concern was regarding commits where "Fixes bug 1234566" is the first and ONLY line.

Yes, that is the particularly offensive form :)

> Plus there is restriction on how long the first line of the commit message can be. Not everyone is able to describe their change in one short sentence.
> So typically *I* put "Fixes bug 1234567" on the *first* line followed by additional lines describing the change.

Brian suggested the following addition to HACKING.rst in
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/9118 :

The first line of the commit message should provide an accurate
description of the change, not just a reference to a bug or
blueprint. It must be followed by a single blank line.

I agree with him: "fixes bug XXXXXX" is a useless shortlog line that
gives you no information whatsoever about the nature of the change. You
have to look somewhere else (in the rest of the commit message, in the
diff, or on the bug tracker) to have the beginning of an idea. So
anything else (even "Fixes bug about scheduler") is more useful.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack