[Openstack] RFC: Thoughts on improving OpenStack GIT commit practice/history

Vaze, Mandar Mandar.Vaze at nttdata.com
Fri Jun 29 04:57:06 UTC 2012

> I particularly hate the single-line "Fixes bug 1234566"-type commit messages.

I assume your concern was regarding commits where "Fixes bug 1234566" is the first and ONLY line.

"Fixes bug 1234566" comes from Wiki.

Plus there is restriction on how long the first line of the commit message can be. Not everyone is able to describe their change in one short sentence.
So typically *I* put "Fixes bug 1234567" on the *first* line followed by additional lines describing the change.

http://wiki.openstack.org/GerritWorkflow#Committing_Changes should be updated when this discussion is concluded.

-Mandar

Disclaimer:This email and any attachments are sent in strictest confidence for the sole use of the addressee and may contain legally privileged, confidential, and proprietary data.  If you are not the intended recipient, please advise the sender by replying promptly to this email and then delete and destroy this email and any attachments without any further use, copying or forwarding