[Openstack] glance access error from remote client

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 15:40:02 UTC 2012

On 06/27/2012 10:04 AM, Xin Zhao wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an Essex install of openstack on RHEL6. The controller node has
> all openstack services running, and there
> are several separate compute nodes.  Now I have a problem using glance.
>
> If I issue "glance index --host=XXX --port=9292" on the controller node,
> it works fine.
>
> If I issue the same command from a remote client node, where I have all
> the relevant openstack rpms installed, it
> fails with the following error message:
>
> Failed to show index. Got error:
> There was an error connecting to a server
> Details: [Errno 111] Connection refused

This usually because the glance CLI tool is trying to connect to the
localhost (which obviously isn't running the Glance API server). Have
you looked at the difference between your OS_XXX environment variables
between the controller node and the remote client node? It may be that
when you are doing a glance index --host=XXX --port=9292 on the
controller node that the glance CLI tool is actually connecting to
localhost/127.0.0.1, but I'm not completely sure..

Best,
-jay