[Openstack] New mailing list server [status update]

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 09:49:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 04:39:58PM -0700, Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> we're getting closer to being able to have a new mailing list manager.
> Duncan and the infra team have a new machine running, with mailman
> installed. We tested also the migration of the archives, successfully.
>
> You can have a look at the result on the staging server:

> Notice the visual appearance of the individual lists, like

> and of the archives (only visible at the url below):
>
> http://stagelists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/
>
> I think it's good to give users landing on the archives an easy way to
> navigate to openstack.org and to our others site, like wiki and docs to
> get more information about openstack.
>
> Please give the site a fast spin when you have time and let us know if
> it doesn't work for you.

I think the site is looking pretty good  - like the styling you
managed to inflict on Mailman !

A couple of small points / suggestions (that you might already be working on):

 * Missing 1 line descriptions for 4 of the lists here:

 * On the listinfo page, the "About {LISTNAME}" section of the page
   merely containing a link to the archives:

    "To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit the
     OpenStack-Dev Archives[link]."

   I would suggest that you might want to put a more expansive
   description on each one. I'm sure you'll probably describe
   the purpose/audience of each list somewhere on the main
   OpenStack website/wiki, but you'll find that users often
   land on the "listinfo" pages directly, so it is worth
   giving them full info about the list there.

   As an example, with libvirt, we put the following the text in the
   "About" section:

     "This list a place for discussions about the development of
      libvirt. Topics for discussion include

       * New features for libvirt
       * Bug fixing of libvirt
       * New hypervisor drivers
       * Development of language bindings for libvirt API
       * Testing and documentation of libvirt

      For discussion involving users of libvirt, please go to the
      users[link] mailing list

      You can learn more about libvirt on the project web pages
      at http://libvirt.org

      To see the collection of prior postings to the list, visit
      the libvir-list Archives[link]."

   And see corresponding text of the end-users list: