[Openstack] [Nova] How to improve our bug triaging ?

Vincent Untz vuntz at suse.com
Fri Jun 22 08:55:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

Le jeudi 21 juin 2012, à 16:29 +0200, Thierry Carrez a écrit :
> * Run BugTriage days more often ?
> We could have regular (monthly?) Nova Bugtriage days to get rid of what
> accumulated in the mean time. But I fear that urgent bugs might not get
> the attention they deserve, and that over time less and less people
> participate to those exciting events...

[...]

> * Should we just encourage more people to do BugTriaging ?
> Sounds like the obvious solution. However to do good triaging, you need
> bug supervisors rights, and when I proposed to open that team (the
> nova-bugs team) to anyone, there was resistance. Maybe it makes sense
> for Nova though... or maybe someone should actively manage that team and
> grant rights to any known triager that needs them.

To me, those two points are related: we likely want to have more bug
triage days, but in order to make this work in the long term, we need
to encourage more people to join the effort. Else, there'll be burnout.

We can then have several ways to make those days more exciting; this has
been done in many other projects already (setting goals, friendly
competition between participants, and even just creating a friendly
atmosphere on irc during the day). Even just seeing the impressive stats
in your last blog post is a good motivation for the next triage day...

Oh, and I don't think we should be afraid of opening up the bug
supervisors rights to more people. In other projects, the upsides have
largely outweighed the potential downsides. Of course, it requires some
expertise, but people will try hard to avoid doing mistakes, and
mistakes can be reverted anyway :-) It's more important to have a sane
bug database and happy bug reporters, than no mistakes at all.

Cheers,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.