[Openstack] [metering] Cinder usage data retrieval

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Wed Jun 20 17:26:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com> wrote:
> Hello John (or anyone else working on cinder),
>
> As part of the ceilometer project¹, we're working on usage data
> retrieval from various OpenStack components. One of them is Cinder.
> We're targeting Folsom for the first release, therefore it seems
> important for both projects to be able to work together, this is why
> we're bringing ceilometer to your attention and asking for advices. :)
>
> What we want is to retrieve the maximum amount of data, so we can meter
> things, to bill them in the end. For now and for Cinder, this would
> first include (per user/tenant):
> - the amount of reserved volume space
> - the amount of used volume space
> - the number of volumes
> but we'll need probably more in a near future.
>
> Do you have any advice regarding integration of Ceilometer and Cinder
> together? What would be a stable interface we could rely on that would
> be independent of the backend?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Regards,
>
> ¹  http://launchpad.net/ceilometer
> --
> Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com>
> aka: nijaba, nicolas

Hi Nick,

We should chat about how things are shaping up so far and how you're
implementing things on the other sides (consistency where
practical/possible).  Also, it sort of depends on the architecture and
use model details of Ceilometer, which I hate to admit but I'm not
really up to speed on.

My first reaction/thought is the best most appropriate place to tie in
is via the python-cinderclient.  There would be a number of ways to
obtain some of this info, whether deriving it or maybe some extensions
to obtain things directly.

Thanks,
John

Thanks,