[Openstack] [metering] Cinder usage data retrieval

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Wed Jun 20 16:53:52 UTC 2012

Hello John (or anyone else working on cinder),

As part of the ceilometer project¹, we're working on usage data
retrieval from various OpenStack components. One of them is Cinder.
We're targeting Folsom for the first release, therefore it seems
important for both projects to be able to work together, this is why
we're bringing ceilometer to your attention and asking for advices. :)

What we want is to retrieve the maximum amount of data, so we can meter
things, to bill them in the end. For now and for Cinder, this would
first include (per user/tenant):
- the amount of reserved volume space
- the amount of used volume space
- the number of volumes
but we'll need probably more in a near future.

Do you have any advice regarding integration of Ceilometer and Cinder
together? What would be a stable interface we could rely on that would
be independent of the backend?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

¹  http://launchpad.net/ceilometer