[Openstack] [Continuous-Integration] using strace from a test suite running on Ubuntu

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Wed Jun 20 16:43:50 UTC 2012

Eoghan Glynn <eglynn at redhat.com> writes:

> So I'm wondering whether the CI side-of-the-house would be prepared to
> enable this temporarily on the Jenkins slaves, by running:
>
>    echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
>
> prior to the glance tests being kicked off, then reverting straight after.

Jenkins is not granted sudo on the slaves, so...

> Or, for a more permanent setting:
>
>   sed -e 's/kernel\.yama.\ptrace_scope *= *1/kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 0/' /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf
>
> and then re-cast the image used for the Jenkins slaves.

Yes, I think it's reasonable to temporarily enable this.  The management
of the Jenkins slaves is collaborative, and anyone can pitch in and do
almost any work without needing privileged access.  Just clone a copy of
our puppet repo, hack at it, and propose a change.  Our goal is that the
infrastructure itself is run just like the rest of the project, and
we're about 98% of the way there.  Here's a change to implement your
suggestion:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8751/

-Jim