[Openstack] [Continuous-Integration] using strace from a test suite running on Ubuntu

Eoghan Glynn eglynn at redhat.com
Wed Jun 20 10:41:49 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

I wanted to use strace(1) to get to the bottom of the glance service
launch failures that have been plaguing Smokestack and Jenkins in the
past few weeks:

   https://review.openstack.org/8722

However I just realized that Ubuntu from Maverick onward no longer allows
ptrace to attach to a user's own processes that are not direct children :(

So I'm wondering whether the CI side-of-the-house would be prepared to
enable this temporarily on the Jenkins slaves, by running:

   echo 0 | sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope

prior to the glance tests being kicked off, then reverting straight after.

Or, for a more permanent setting:

  sed -e 's/kernel\.yama.\ptrace_scope *= *1/kernel.yama.ptrace_scope = 0/' /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf

and then re-cast the image used for the Jenkins slaves.

Thanks,
Eoghan