[Openstack] [Blueprint automatic-secure-key-generation] Automatic SECURE_KEY generation

Sascha Peilicke saschpe at suse.de
Mon Jun 18 16:07:18 UTC 2012

On 06/15/2012 11:08 PM, Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> To the points Sascha raised, and in particular in response to the code method suggested here (https://github.com/saschpe/horizon/commit/1414d538d65d2d3deb981db0ab9e888a3c96a149) I think we are largely in agreement except for one point:
>
> I have no problem with this approach for development, or even for distro packaging, but I strongly dislike this automatic generation for a production deployment. Particularly there are issues about distributed deployments where the installs need to share a common secret key to allow for shared data signing validation, etc. I would rather not obfuscate these very real and very relevant concerns for productions deployments for the sake of making everything else a little easier. Especially because it will lead to very hard-to-diagnose bugs because people aren't aware of the magic happening behind the scenes.

Ah, you're thinking of a setup where there are multiple dashboard VMs
behind a load-balancer serving requests. Indeed, there the dashboard
instances should either share the SECRET_KEY or the load-balancer has to
make sure that all requests of a given session are redirected to the
same dashboard instance.

But shouldn't local_settings.py still take preference over settings.py?
Thus the admin could still set a specific SECRET_KEY in
local_settings.py regardless of the default (auto-generated) one. So I
only would have to fix the patch by not removing the documentation about
SECRET_KEY from local_settings.py, right?

> As such, I'd rather have the code you wrote be part of the environment build/run_tests code such that there's an *optional* tool to do this, but it doesn't hide legitimate security and functionality concerns.

Unfortunately, this is only relevant for securing production
deployments. Nobody cares if a developer instance is setup securely ;-)

> I'm also cc'ing Paul McMillan, Django's resident security expert, to get his take on this.

Have you already got an answer from Paul? He wan't in the CC list, actually.