[Openstack] [Swift] Where's Object's metadata located ?

Adrian Smith adrian at 17od.com
Sat Jun 16 20:22:02 UTC 2012

> Q1: Where's the metadata of an object ?
It's stored in extended attributes on the filesystem itself. This is
reason XFS (or other filesystem supporting extended attributes) is
required.

> Could I find the value?
Sure. You just need some way of a) identifying the object on disk and,
b) a means of querying the extended metadata (using for example the
python xattrs package).

> Q2: What if a large object be interrupted during upload , will the manifest objects be deleted?
Large objects (i.e. those > 5Gb) must be split up client-side and the
segments uploaded individually. When all the segments are uploaded the
manifest must then be created by the client. What I'm trying to get at
is that each segment and even the manifest are completely independent
objects. A failure during the upload of any one segment has no impact
on other segments or the manifest.

Adrian