[Openstack] change LANGUAGE_CODE config in horizon

Hua ZZ Zhang zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
Thu Jun 14 05:27:36 UTC 2012

Yuan ke,

Great! there're something to clarify here, I guess. If it is wrong, correct
me. :-)

> yes, it has something to do with the language preference of the web
browser. after I changed to IE, the configuration for LANGUAGE_CODE in
"settings.py" takes effects.

This configuration of LANGUAGE_CODE in settings.py is a global setting
which won't take much effect. that means it mostly likedly will be
overrided by user preferences such as Brower, Session. the latter is
probably done on the GUI of dashboard settings. If the horizon can't get
any clue of user language preference, it will use the global setting.

Best Regards,

 Edward Zhang(张华)                    地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号 中关村
 Staff Software Engineer               软件园28号楼 环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193
 Travel&Transportation Standards       Address: 3F Ring, Building 28
 Emerging Technology Institute(ETI)    Zhongguancun Software Park, 8
 IBM China Software Development Lab    Dongbeiwang West Road, Haidian
 e-mail: zhuadl at cn.ibm.com             District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
 Notes ID: Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM
 Tel: 86-10-82450483

             yuanke wei
             <weiyuanke123 at gma
             il.com>                                                    To
                                       Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM at IBMCN
                                       openstack mail list
                                       <openstack at lists.launchpad.net>,
                                       openstack-bounces
                                       +zhuadl=cn.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.
                                       net
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Openstack] change
                                       LANGUAGE_CODE config in horizon

thanks very much, that solved my problem.

>I tested it on my machine and works for me. you need to check your
language preference in your web browser(I tested it on Firefox). It seems
that Django will also make use of the Request Header of >languge to decide
the client default language settings. It might be a kind of design which
doesn't require storing these preference information in cookie or server
side.

yes, it has something to do with the language preference of the web
browser. after I changed to IE, the configuration for LANGUAGE_CODE in
"settings.py" takes effects.

韦远科
中国科学院 计算机网络信息中心

wei yuanke(wei)
CNIC, Chinese Academy of Sciences
gtalk: weiyuanke123 at gmail.com
msn: weiyuanke123 at hotmail.com

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Hua ZZ Zhang <zhuadl at cn.ibm.com> wrote:
  I tested it on my machine and works for me. you need to check your
  language preference in your web browser(I tested it on Firefox). It seems
  that Django will also make use of the Request Header of languge to decide
  the client default language settings. It might be a kind of design which
  doesn't require storing these preference information in cookie or server
  side.

  Best Regards,

       Edward Zhang(张华)                    地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号
       Staff Software Engineer               中关村软件园28号楼 环宇大厦3层
       Travel&Transportation Standards       邮编:100193
       Emerging Technology Institute         Address: 3F Ring, Building 28
       (ETI)                                 Zhongguancun Software Park, 8
       IBM China Software Development        Dongbeiwang West Road, Haidian
       Lab                                   District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
       e-mail: zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
       Notes ID: Hua ZZ
       Zhang/China/IBM
       Tel: 86-10-82450483

  Inactive hide details for yuanke wei ---2012-06-14 11:12:20---thanks for
  reply.yuanke wei ---2012-06-14 11:12:20---thanks for reply.

       yuanke wei <
       weiyuanke123 at g
       mail.com>

       2012-06-14
       11:12                         Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM at IBMCN

                                                                        cc

                                     cn.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.net

                                                                   Subject

                                     Re: [Openstack] change LANGUAGE_CODE
                                     config in horizon

  thanks for reply.

  >Yuan Ke, you can set the language in "settings" on the top right of the
  dashboard. It seems that the horizon won't be able to save your language
  preference into config file. So you have to set it again >when you login.

  I also noticed that.
  so what I want to do is to change the default LANGUAGE_CODE in horizon,
  but just modify "settings.py" seems not working
  韦远科
  wei yuanke(wei)

       e-mail: zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
       Notes ID: Hua ZZ
       Zhang/China/IBM
       Tel: 86-10-82450483

        Inactive hide details for yuanke wei ---2012-06-14 10:33:08---hi,
        can anyone show me how to change the LANGUAGE_CODE configuratyuanke
        wei ---2012-06-14 10:33:08---hi, can anyone show me how to change
        the LANGUAGE_CODE configuration in horizon???

       yuanke wei <
       weiyuanke123 at gmail.com>
       Sent by: openstack-bounces
       +zhuadl=
       cn.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.net                                   To

                                                         openstack mail
                                                         openstack at lists.l
                                                         aunchpad.net>

                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject

                                                         [Openstack]
                                                         change
                                                         LANGUAGE_CODE
                                                         config in horizon

        hi,

        can anyone show me how to change the LANGUAGE_CODE configuration in
        horizon???

        I changed LANGUAGE_CODE configuration to "ja" in
        horizon/openstack_dashboard/settings.py, and also restarted apache
        web server,

        but in the template file, such as
        "horizon/templates/horizon/auth/_login.html", the value for
        "LANGUAGE_CODE" is still "en".

        so in order to configure "LANGUAGE_CODE" to "ja", what steps should
        I take??

        many thanks.