[Openstack] instance snapshotting failed. now in permanent Image_Snapshot state.

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 14:46:41 UTC 2012

On 06/13/2012 02:41 AM, Christian Parpart wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I feel really sorry to bother you about that, but it really annoys me
> now for quite a while now.
> I used snapshotting quite a few times already - in success - but this
> time (maybe due to
> my HA tries on the cloud controller node) the snapshotting failed.
>
> I clicked snapshot via dashboard, and the went into Task =
> Image_Snapshot state,
> and the image snapshot is in Status = Queued.
> This is now about 12 hours ago, and I quite don't think that anything
> will happen w/o human intervention.

Hmm, well I can't imagine the snapshot would take that long :) Looks
like it is hung.

> Unfortunately, the nova-compute.log on the compute node in question just
> says it is about
> to snapshot, no errors above nor below. a few hours later I tried to
> hard reboot the instance,
> but that failed w/o telling me why either.

This is exceedingly odd. Usually when this has happened to me, I've
found *something* from libvirt in the compute log on the node in
question -- even if that something is a quite cryptic QEMU error...

> I searched the nova-scheduler.log on the controller node, but here I
> couldn't find anything
> related (at least I did not find it).

Any chance of entries in /var/log/libvirt/?

> What can I do now? I do not want to terminate the instance, just because
> of the snapshotting
> error, and I'd also like to get snapshotting fixed again, but how?

Well, sounds like the instance is essentially not usable at this point,
so I'm not sure if there would be any further issues with attempting to
terminate the instance...

Best,
-jay