[Openstack] instance snapshotting failed. now in permanent Image_Snapshot state.

Christian Parpart trapni at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 06:41:40 UTC 2012

Hey all,

I feel really sorry to bother you about that, but it really annoys me now
for quite a while now.
I used snapshotting quite a few times already - in success - but this time
(maybe due to
my HA tries on the cloud controller node) the snapshotting failed.

I clicked snapshot via dashboard, and the went into Task = Image_Snapshot
state,
and the image snapshot is in Status = Queued.
This is now about 12 hours ago, and I quite don't think that anything will
happen w/o human intervention.

Unfortunately, the nova-compute.log on the compute node in question just
says it is about
to snapshot, no errors above nor below. a few hours later I tried to hard
reboot the instance,
but that failed w/o telling me why either.

I searched the nova-scheduler.log on the controller node, but here I
couldn't find anything
related (at least I did not find it).

What can I do now? I do not want to terminate the instance, just because of
the snapshotting
error, and I'd also like to get snapshotting fixed again, but how?

Many thanks in advance,
Christian.