[Openstack] [metering] notification metadata

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Jun 13 11:55:26 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Nick Barcet <nick.barcet at canonical.com>wrote:

> On 06/12/2012 05:51 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> > See https://review.stackforge.org/163 for the code.
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Doug Hellmann
> > <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com <mailto:doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>>
> wrote:
> >
> >     I am working on bug 1006120, adding metadata to the instance-related
> >     metering events. It's easy to add location data like availability
> >     zone to the pollsters because the agent has an object from the
> >     database with all of the information about the instance (we will
> >     have to change that, but presumably we will be able to get the data
> >     via RPC, too). The notification plugins however, only have the data
> >     in the incoming message, and those messages don't include all of the
> >     data about the instance. My current plan is to have the collector
> >     code that processes notifications look up the instance in the
> >     database to get the rest of the data.
> >
> >     Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan?
> >
> >     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1006120
>
> Well, this seems a bit inelegant to me to have collectors to additional
> lookup in an external DB where otherwise it's role would be limited to
> handle and store event.  It would definitely add quite a bit of strain
> to the code on the central collector and what would happen if the nova
> DB is not available or overloaded?

I want to eventually move off of direct DB access and ask for details like
that via RPC, so this is just a temporary situation.

> I'd rather have all collection of data done from the agents rather than
> introduce this lookup on the central collector node.  What would prevent
> us from doing it this way?

That moves the problem even further away from the database. The agent runs
on the compute node, and we *know* we won't have DB access there by the
time we're done with Folsom (even nova is eliminating direct DB access by
the compute node). The agent does not process notification events (it only
polls) because of the round-tripping of messages through the message bus.
Even if we move the notification handling into the agent, it doesn't have
the necessary details so we would still need to ask for them somehow.

There are a couple of other alternatives:

1. We could move notification handling into its own daemon to get it out of
the collector. This new daemon would still run on a central service, and
would need to be set up to support load balancing just as the collector is
now. The similarities are why we left the two types of processing in the
same process to begin with.

2. We could modify nova to include more details about an instance when it
publishes a notification. This is the best solution from our perspective,
and I would like to see all of the properties anyway, but I don't know if
there is a performance-related reason for leaving out some details.

Doug