[Openstack] [metering] notification metadata

Nick Barcet nick.barcet at canonical.com
Wed Jun 13 10:56:34 UTC 2012

On 06/12/2012 05:51 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> See https://review.stackforge.org/163 for the code.
>
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM, Doug Hellmann
> <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com <mailto:doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am working on bug 1006120, adding metadata to the instance-related
>     metering events. It's easy to add location data like availability
>     zone to the pollsters because the agent has an object from the
>     database with all of the information about the instance (we will
>     have to change that, but presumably we will be able to get the data
>     via RPC, too). The notification plugins however, only have the data
>     in the incoming message, and those messages don't include all of the
>     data about the instance. My current plan is to have the collector
>     code that processes notifications look up the instance in the
>     database to get the rest of the data.
>
>     Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan?
>
>     https://bugs.launchpad.net/ceilometer/+bug/1006120

Well, this seems a bit inelegant to me to have collectors to additional
lookup in an external DB where otherwise it's role would be limited to
handle and store event.  It would definitely add quite a bit of strain
to the code on the central collector and what would happen if the nova
DB is not available or overloaded?

I'd rather have all collection of data done from the agents rather than
introduce this lookup on the central collector node.  What would prevent
us from doing it this way?

Nick