[Openstack] Intermittent devstack-gate failures

James E. Blair corvus at inaugust.com
Tue Jun 12 23:25:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

It looks like there are intermittent, but frequent, failures in the
devstack-gate.  This suggests a non-deterministic bug has crept into
some piece of OpenStack software.

In this kind of situation, certainly could keep re-approving changes in
the hope that they will pass the test and merge, but it would be better
to fix the underlying problem.  Simply re-approving is mostly just going
to make the queue longer.

Note that the output from Jenkins has changed recently.  I've seen some
people misconstrue some normal parts of the test process as errors.  In
particular, this message from Jenkins is not an error:

  Looks like the node went offline during the build. Check the slave log
  for the details.

That's a normal part of the way the devstack-gate tests run, where we
add a machine to Jenkins as a slave, run the tests, and remove it from
the list of slaves before it's done.  This is to accommodate the
one-shot nature of devstack based testing.  It doesn't interfere with
the results.

To find out why a test failed, you should scroll up a bit to the
devstack exercise output, which normally looks like this:

SUCCESS: End DevStack Exercise: ./exercises/volumes.sh
SKIP boot_from_volume
SKIP client-env
SKIP quantum
SKIP swift
PASS aggregates
PASS bundle
PASS client-args
PASS euca
PASS floating_ips
PASS sec_groups
PASS volumes

Everything after that point is test running boilerplate.  I'll add some
echo statements to that effect in the future.

Finally, it may be a little difficult to pinpoint when this started.  A
number of devstack-gate tests have passed recently without actually
running any tests, due to an issue with one of our OpenStack based node
providers.  We are eating our own dogfood.

-Jim