[Openstack] ZFS/ZVol + iscsi for volume

Diego Parrilla SantamarĂ­a diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:58:55 UTC 2012

Nicolas,

it makes a lot of sense what you want to do. ZFS+iSCSI is a perfect fit for
vm storage, some other IaaS solutions already use this combination (and I
have developed some). Keep in mind that Nexenta is only a distro based upon
OpenSolaris: OpenIndiana, FreeBSD... there are a lot of options with ZFS.

There are several things you should consider to implement this feature:
1) The code that matters is mostly in nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py for
libvirt
2) You need to implement a new storage type: iscsi (
http://libvirt.org/storage.html#StorageBackendISCSI)
3) You need to implement a feature to block-copy the source image to the
backend iscsi storage
4) _cache_image method and most of _create_image should be developed
thinking in 3)

I think the only reason to implement this feature is to develop a highly
scalable storage system for instances, so a single storage system does not
make sense. It should be able to manage a list storage systems as a pool
and load balance them.

Some quick thoughts, good luck!
Diego

 --