[Openstack] Comparing roles - case (in)sensitivity

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Fri Jun 8 21:50:45 UTC 2012

tl;dr - Should we compare roles as case-sensitive or case-insensitive? I vote case-sensitive.

This bug was recently filed in Glance: https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1010519. It points out that Nova and Keystone are both case-insensitive when it comes to role comparison, yet Glance *is* case sensitive. I'm in favor of moving other projects to a case-sensitive approach for two main reasons:

1) If a role is a string, and comparing strings is inherently case-sensitive, then role comparison would logically be case-sensitive
2) I get to do less work

Thoughts?

Brian Waldon