[Openstack] Comparing roles - case (in)sensitivity

Joseph Suh jsuh at isi.edu
Fri Jun 8 21:57:30 UTC 2012

I'd vote case-sensitive.

Joseph

----
(w) 703-248-6160
(c) 571-340-2434
(f) 703-812-3712
3811 N. Fairfax Drive Suite 200
Arlington, VA, 22203, USA
http://www.east.isi.edu/~jsuh

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Waldon" <brian.waldon at rackspace.com>
To: "openstack at lists.launchpad.net (openstack at lists.launchpad.net)" <openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2012 5:50:45 PM
Subject: [Openstack] Comparing roles - case (in)sensitivity

tl;dr - Should we compare roles as case-sensitive or case-insensitive? I vote case-sensitive.

This bug was recently filed in Glance: https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/1010519 . It points out that Nova and Keystone are both case-insensitive when it comes to role comparison, yet Glance *is* case sensitive. I'm in favor of moving other projects to a case-sensitive approach for two main reasons:

1) If a role is a string, and comparing strings is inherently case-sensitive, then role comparison would logically be case-sensitive
2) I get to do less work

Thoughts?

Brian Waldon