[Openstack] Signed Tokens

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Jun 5 00:58:35 UTC 2012

On 06/04/2012 07:15 PM, Nguyen, Liem Manh wrote:
> Looks good, Adam...  I have a couple comments/questions:
>
> 1) We probably want to maintain backward-compatibility with the old token auth.  So, PKI can be turned on or off, maybe via a middleware filter that sits in front of the old token auth (instead of a cache for example which does not make sense for PKI anymore).  While PKI comes with benefits, not everyone may want to deal with certificates, etc...  2-way SSL is configurable for this very same reason.
I don't think the SSL overhead is that great.  If there is a large hue
and cry from the community,  I'll provide it as an option, but I am
thinking that there is little benefit in backwards compatibility, and a
large amount of code that then needs to be maintained.

This is different from 2 Way SSL,  which is implemented in the Python
Layer, and is likely a performance bottleneck.  You don't want to do
Crypto in Python.

I'm not sure that the cache should go.  I can see benefits to using it:
it obviates the need for spawning a process for additional signed tokens
checks.

> 2) I don't know if you have looked at pyopenssl yet?  Maybe a better alternative than spawning processes...

I'm pretty sure that any call into a native library is going to be more
of an issue than spawning a process, unless that library has been
specifically implemented with non-blocking code in mind,  and explicitly
avoids taking the GIL.  However,  Since openssl doesn't seem to support
CMS signing (the PKCS7 module is pretty much read only information)  I
think the issue is moot.

> 3) Is PKI v3 or v2?  I assume v3, but just want to double-check.  /v2.0 should be /v3.0 if that's the case.
V2, as there is no change to the API, just the implementation.