[Openstack] Default reply to behavior for mailing list

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Jul 31 19:20:33 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:50:02AM -0700, Bhuvaneswaran A wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> If a subscriber reply to a mailing list message, it's sent to the
> author only. Each subscriber should use "Reply to All" every time, to
> post a reply to mailing list.
>
> Can you please configure the mailing list and set reply-to header as
> mailing list address, openstack at lists.launchpad.net. With this setup,
> if the user click "reply" in his email client, the message is sent to
> mailing list, instead of the author.

This discussion invariably turns up on most open source mailing lists
from time to time. People never agree on the "best" setting. Asking
for this reply-to setting to be changed is merely shifting the pain
away from one set of users (which includes you) onto other set of
users (which includes me). There's no net gain here. Just shifting
the pain.  As such IMHO we should leave it as it is.

Daniel