[Openstack] User Friendly Development -was- Fwd: [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Fri Jul 27 18:18:15 UTC 2012

>> I do wonder if it would make sense to gather user feedback and goals before the summit, like the day (or week) before, to help provide some priorities (from their perspective) to consider going into the summit.
>
> This does seem valuable, although keep in mind that most users are a release behind, so the majority of their feedback will hopefully have been handled already :)

Unfortunately not. Every release I run into a ton of problems, patch
them locally, then push them upstream so that I won't hit the same
issue next release. I just went through this with the essex version of
keystone. Another example is that keystone's auth model is
fundamentally different from what was in nova, and completely breaks
my use case (which is likely a pretty normal use case for private
clouds). I haven't fully tested nova or glance for upgrade, so I'm
sure I'll be pushing in fixes for that too.

It would have been ideal for me to give this feedback during the
development cycle, but it's pretty difficult managing a product launch
and keeping up with the design and testing of software that's in
development (especially when it undergoes a nearly complete rewrite at
the end of the dev cycle). I feel that many end-users are in a similar
position.

Users definitely need a better mechanism to give feedback early, and
to have their current production issues handled. The start of the
design summit is good, but it would also be nice to collect feedback
after the summit as well.

- Ryan