[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Lloyd Dewolf lloydostack at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 20:35:27 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Using the "user committee" setup, you don't really need to take
> authority away from the PTL. You increase the influence of the "users"
> on technical decisions. You just provide a clear and official mechanism
> to represent the interests of "the users" as a whole. Once you have
> that, if the PTL or technical committee decides to ignore it, it's a
> rather strong decision that better has to be well justified. Its better
> than having some arbitrary percentage of "users" in a single committee
> and then have most decisions won by the most largely represented party.
>
> If the user committee is an active and respected group, it provides nice
> checks and balances against developers living in developer bubbles. Most
> issues we have right now with deployer-friendliness are linked to the
> fact that "the users" don't have a clear or official voice.
>
> The trick is, of course, to manage to set up such a committee in a way
> that represents all the users and deployers. It will be all the more
> influential if it is seen as representing all the users, rather than
> just a loosely-tied pre-determined subset of large users.

I generally agree with your thoughts around a "user committee".

For my benefit, I'd love to get a feel for what we're doing to make
development user friendly?

In my fantasies for the Grizzly release it would start something like:

A. Grizzly Summit

B. From the summit the Tech Committee & PTL have community consensus
on the overarching goal for the release and the projects' goals.
Articulated online in user friendly manner.

C. Webinar / OpenStack User Groups get a presentation on the release
goals, and channels for input and participation.

D. About the half way point in release schedule, development adjusts
the online communication to reflect reality, presents an update, and
again channels for input and participation.

How do things work today?  I haven't found much in the wiki.

@lloyddewolf
http://www.pistoncloud.com/