[Openstack] nova-network not writing into dnsmasq-config-file

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Mon Jul 23 02:37:03 UTC 2012

In Essex, I've seen issues like this if your fixed_ips table in the nova
database has multiple entries for the same address (even if some of those
entries are marked delete=true, though this has been fixed in Folsom).  If
you feel confortable, take a look at the fixed_ips table to see if anything
looks odd.  The dnsmasq conf files are generated directly from this table.

Dan

On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Wolfgang Hennerbichler <
wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software.at> wrote:

> Hi openstack-guys,
>
> using the latest essex release from ubuntu packages, I see a weird
> nova-network behaviour (flat networking):
>
> nova.conf:
> --flat_interface=eth0
> --flat_network_bridge=bridge_130
> --flat_network_dhcp_start=192.168.32.130
> --flat_injected=False
>
> nova-network runs on a different host as nova-compute.
> when I provision a VM, it all looks good (no errors in the logs), but the
> VM doesn't get an IP address. I've tcpdumped and verfied that the dhcp
> request reaches the correct interface of nova-network. now looking into
> dnsmasq I found this in the syslog:
>
> Jul 22 22:29:27 localhost dnsmasq-dhcp[3107]: read
> /var/lib/nova/networks/nova-bridge_130.conf
> Jul 22 22:29:50 localhost dnsmasq-dhcp[3107]: DHCPDISCOVER(bridge_130)
> 192.168.122.96 fa:16:3e:60:92:a6 no address available
>
> bummer. so I checked to see why this happens, and it turns out, that
> /var/lib/nova/networks/nova-bridge_130.conf is empty. I assume there should
> be the mac to IP mapping, written by nova-network, but although the file
> exists, it doesn't have content. nova-network doesn't complain about any
> issues with this file, the file system permissions allow the nova-user to
> write there, so I do not quite know how to handle this.
>
> Any hints would be very welcome.
>
> Thanks a lot
> wolfgang

Dan Wendlandt