[Openstack] nova-network not writing into dnsmasq-config-file

Wolfgang Hennerbichler wolfgang.hennerbichler at risc-software.at
Sun Jul 22 20:45:31 UTC 2012

Hi openstack-guys,

using the latest essex release from ubuntu packages, I see a weird nova-network behaviour (flat networking):

nova.conf:
--flat_interface=eth0
--flat_network_bridge=bridge_130
--flat_network_dhcp_start=192.168.32.130
--flat_injected=False

nova-network runs on a different host as nova-compute.
when I provision a VM, it all looks good (no errors in the logs), but the VM doesn't get an IP address. I've tcpdumped and verfied that the dhcp request reaches the correct interface of nova-network. now looking into dnsmasq I found this in the syslog:

Jul 22 22:29:27 localhost dnsmasq-dhcp[3107]: read /var/lib/nova/networks/nova-bridge_130.conf
Jul 22 22:29:50 localhost dnsmasq-dhcp[3107]: DHCPDISCOVER(bridge_130) 192.168.122.96 fa:16:3e:60:92:a6 no address available

bummer. so I checked to see why this happens, and it turns out, that /var/lib/nova/networks/nova-bridge_130.conf is empty. I assume there should be the mac to IP mapping, written by nova-network, but although the file exists, it doesn't have content. nova-network doesn't complain about any issues with this file, the file system permissions allow the nova-user to write there, so I do not quite know how to handle this.

Any hints would be very welcome.

Thanks a lot
wolfgang