[Openstack] [Quantum] Network, Subnet and Port names

Hua ZZ Zhang zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jul 18 08:53:34 UTC 2012

All networks information of all tenants are stored in one table. If the
name is defined unique, it implicates all tenants have to make sure the
name of new network will not be conflict with others even they don't know
each other. the system has to tell the tenant that "the name has been used
already by other tenants, please use another name to creat network". This
might be a confusing constraint to user.

Network Table Defition:
+----------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field          | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+----------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| tenant_id      | varchar(255) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| id             | varchar(36)  | NO   | PRI | NULL    |       |
| name           | varchar(255) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| status         | varchar(16)  | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| admin_state_up | tinyint(1)   | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+----------------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+

Best Regards,

 Edward Zhang(张华)                    地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号 中关村
 Staff Software Engineer               软件园28号楼 环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193
 Travel&Transportation Standards       Address: 3F Ring, Building 28
 Emerging Technology Institute(ETI)    Zhongguancun Software Park, 8
 IBM China Software Development Lab    Dongbeiwang West Road, Haidian
 e-mail: zhuadl at cn.ibm.com             District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
 Notes ID: Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM
 Tel: 86-10-82450483

             Dan Wendlandt
             <dan at nicira.com>
             openstack-bounces         gkotton at redhat.com
             +zhuadl=cn.ibm.co                                          cc
             m at lists.launchpad         openstack at lists.launchpad.net
             .net                                                  Subject
                                       Re: [Openstack] [Quantum] Network,
                                       Subnet and Port names
             2012-07-17 13:27

Hi Gary, this is an example of when I wish openstack APIs had a
"style-guide" to try to ensure some consistency across projects.

For those new to the conversation, the original topic of discussion is
whether "names" for API objects should be forced to be unique (presumably
within a tenant?) or allowed to be duplicated.  The general feeling from
the meeting was that since UUIDs are unique, the API itself would not
enforce name uniqueness.  That also led to the point that names should then
be optional, since they are really for informational/display purposes only.

Personally, I tend to think that "description" tends to imply a sentence
"private network for tenant1", rather than a simple name "tenant1-net".
There's also the fact that other openstack services like nova and glance
use the term "name" with the similar (I believe) model that a name need not
be unique.

Would be curious to hear what others think.  The only thing I'm quite sure
about is that there would be value in creating some notion of "openstack
API consistency best practices" to give a more cohesive feel to APIs across
different projects in the openstack family.

Dan