[Openstack] vm on compute node cannot connect internet

Jiaan Zeng l.allen09 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 02:58:59 UTC 2012

Hi List,

I have a network problem while setting up essex.  The instances on control
node can access internet, while instances on compute node cannot. I tcpdump
the ping traffic and found something weird. VM on compute node can send
ICMP request out and the src ip of the ICMP package is changed to ip of
control node. Destination can receive the request and reply back to control
node. But VM on compute node gets nothing back. I can ping control node
from VM on compute node though. Based on that, I think there should be
something wrong with the gateway set up by nova-network. But I don't know
how to do further debug.

I set up on two machines. Each has only *one* NIC. I use FlatDHCPManager
and place the bridge on the public NIC. Below is my configuration file of
network part.

--network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager
--public_interface=eth0
--flat_interface=eth0
--flat_network_bridge=br100
--fixed_range=192.168.22.32/27