[Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

Doug Davis dug at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 13 01:33:02 UTC 2012

On the flip side - to refresh people's memory it might be useful to send
out a link to some of the email threads (or wikis) that explained why this
move is critical to OS's success.  Perhaps some of those reasons aren't as
valid any more given the impact people are now seeing it will have.  Never
hurts to measure again before you cut  :-)

thanks
-Doug
(919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug at us.ibm.com

Stefano Maffulli <stefano at openstack.org>
Sent by: openstack-bounces+dug=us.ibm.com at lists.launchpad.net
07/12/2012 06:38 PM

openstack at lists.launchpad.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Openstack] [nova] [cinder] Nova-volume vs. Cinder in Folsom

[launchpad is slow at delivering messages to the list. Please everybody
keep it in mind and slow down your replies too to give people the chance
to comment, too.]

On 07/12/2012 12:47 PM, Matt Joyce wrote:
> Yes we maintain v2 api compatibility but there will be a cost to users
> in the confusion of decisions like this.

Any change has costs, all decisions are the result of compromises. I'm
sure you all know this, it's a fact of life. We can't change that fact
but we can change how we get to an agreement of what compromise is
acceptable.

>From what I understand, some people are regretting the decision to
create cinder. We should start from the beginning then:

  How many people regret the decision to start cinder?

  Where were you when the decision was taken?

  What prevented you to speak up then?

I'd appreciate your answers to these questions and your suggestions on
how to modify the decision-making process (if you think it's broken).

thanks,
stef