[Openstack] Please vote for the name of the "G" release

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 11 14:46:09 UTC 2012

Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> I the future, I'd like to suggest Condorcet voting for future polls.
> It's a more comprehensive voting mechanism than the polling done on
> Launchpad. It's also easy to use (both in creating polls and in voting
> on favorites).

It's also extremely easy to game if you don't provide a set of voters
email addresses.

We want all the community involved in picking the name (so all the
~openstack group in Launchpad) but we don't have all email addresses,
and we don't want some group to stuff the ballot and let "Greenville"
win. The only way to game the Launchpad poll system is to create a
thousand Launchpad IDs : it sounds like a high-enough barrier of entry
to fraud. CIVS poll stuffing is just a click away.

Basically Launchpad polls are in the sweet spot between convenience,
accuracy and fraud-resistance.

You just don't know what the Bear Revolt crew was ready to do to let
Grizzly win :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack