[Openstack] Don't bypass code-review.

Eric Windisch eric at cloudscaling.com
Tue Jul 10 19:32:23 UTC 2012

> Jenkins was failing to merge *ANY* code reviews for openstack-common.
> The root of the dependency tree of your patch sets is insufficient to
> make the test suite pass. The set of patches needed to go in in one
> commit. I was ping'd on IRC to check into the tests that were failing
> when the build hosts got pyzmq installed on them by another patch set.
>
> I'm sorry that I bypassed the code review, but in light of nothing
> getting through due to the ZeroMQ tests being broken to begin with,
> there was not much I could do. The RPC bits got added in prior to test
> gating, and further these tests only trigger when pyzmq is installed.

I understand the dilemma, but it wasn't like I didn't have reviews in progress to address this.  If the patches weren't sufficient, contacting me or giving me a -1 would have been a better option. Alternatively, you could have investigated why pyzmq might have gotten installed, and seen if it could have been disabled.  Instead, you merged your change 30 minutes before contacting the mailing list or otherwise attempting communication.  It took, what, 10 minutes for me to receive, read, and reply to your post?

I've already pushed an updated change that collapses the changes into a larger patch that should get Jenkins going again (tests pass locally, we'll see how Jenkins feels about it)

Right now, I'd just like to get past this. I'm sorry if I've been at all too rough on you.

I'd just appreciate that in the future, even if the build is broken, that code review is not bypassed.  Additionally, if there is a reasonable way to approach the author of code, especially if there is already a patch in review, that opposing patches aren't shoe-horned in without review or oversight.

Regards,
Eric Windisch