[Openstack] Setting VM passwords when not running on Xen

John Garbutt John.Garbutt at citrix.com
Thu Jul 5 16:00:39 UTC 2012

> From: Scott Moser [mailto:ssmoser2 at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Scott Moser
> > *         Cloud-Init / Metadata service (depends on DHCP(?), and not a two-way
> transport)
> cloud-init does not require dhcp.  It explicitly supports the passing of network
> interface definitions into it in Ubuntu 12.04.  Ie, config-drive with static
> networking passed in works as it should.
Sorry, I was just thinking about relying on DHCP to get the IP address, then using the Metadata Service, on XenAPI were config drive has not been implemented.

> Its 2012, do we really need to design for the case where IP is broken or not
> available?
I was only really worried about the case of Flat without DHCP that config drive can address.

Given things are going this way, I guess that increases the need of implementing config drive for XenAPI. Has anyone already got plans to implement that in Folsom? I might try to find someone in our Citrix team to take a look at implementing that.

Cheers,
John