[Openstack] Openstack and Google Compute Engine

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 17:34:50 UTC 2012

On 07/02/2012 10:25 AM, Simon G. wrote:
> Noone tested or noone is interested in Google Compute Engine and Openstack?

No, I think it's just that nobody has looked into it yet. Also, when you
say "their test app is 600,000 cores", I don't think you have any
providers of OpenStack that (yet) have anywhere near that level of cores
to provide to an application... Google has the ability to utilize its
existing hardware infrastructure of hundreds of thousands (millions?) of
servers.

Trying to compare OpenStack to Google's Compute Engine is silly IMHO.
You really should be comparing GCE with grid computing engines and HPC
solutions, not cloud computing operator software like OpenStack.

The two are very different.

Best,
-jay