[Openstack] Openstack and Google Compute Engine

Matt Joyce matt.joyce at cloudscaling.com
Mon Jul 2 17:17:57 UTC 2012

Semy,

  Google app engine and google compute engine are two different things.
App engine has been around for quite some time.  The compute engine that
they offer as an IaaS solution is based off internal google software that
has also been in use internally for a lengthy amount of time.

   Honestly, most people expected google to enter into the IaaS market much
earlier than this.

Noone tested or noone is interested in Google Compute Engine and Openstack?

I believe most of us are simply interested in ensuring an API compatibility
layer will exist.  But as per planning that is not currently within the
confines of the OpenStack project, but is rather left to the openstack
distribution vendors.  I think that eventually a standard method for
abstracting the various IaaS API layers will arise.

Usability functions are also interesting.  Certainly compute engine
provides a different approach to the user experience in IaaS from what has
been the de facto standard in amazon.  That's interesting as well.

> I've heard about Google's cloud recently. What do you think about it? Will
>> it be compatible with openstack? Or will openstack be compatible with them?
>> Anyone knows something about their solution? it's purely their technology?
>> Or maybe they were inspired by openstack or something else.
>>
> It is purely their technology.  It likely pre-dates openstack.  Eventually
an API compatibility layer will exist.  I am certain that several
organizations are likely working on this as we speak.   As stated earlier
that is not something the OpenStack project has a hand in at the moment.

> What about scalability? Their test app is really impressive - 600.000
>> cores. Is it even achievable in openstack? How can I create environment
>> with so many cores, in openstack?
>>
> I don't believe anyone has ever approached that number of course in a
single deployment.  I have no doubt that openstack could scale to those
numbers.  However a 600,000 core environment is akin to a 50,000 physical
node deployment of 2 cpu 6 core units.  That is a colossal sum of
hardware.  Very few organizations have that many physical nodes, much less
dedicated to a single IaaS environment.

> I'm waiting for my invitation to google compute, but maybe someone has
>> already tested it.
>>
> There are several reviews online already as well as reference
documentation on the offering.

-Matt