[Openstack] nova and trusted computing

Yang, Fred fred.yang at intel.com
Thu Jan 12 20:00:25 UTC 2012

Vish,

Mark and I have worked a while and yet to have a get a better approach.  Let me describe key features need to be addressed and a possible approach for base discussion

Nova scheduler's select_and_run can dispatch N instances directly which makes trusted computing a little bit challenge.

To achieve trusted computing, we should achieve following requirements
1. Provide hosts' trust cache to Nova scheduler as capability - similar to existing "Compute" capability
2. Refresh host trust state if the host is rebooted "since"
3. Computing pools should support trust state enforcement, that is, instances should not be launched on trusted node(s) is no trust requirement is specified
4. Plug-in approach and reuse nova core as much to keep it small - this has been done through nova FLAGS.  If not configured, then no trusted computing code will be exercised
5. https client connection to attestation server - we can refine this to be more generic usage to other nova components

On Requirement#1 - 'Trust' caps should be in its own cap than in 'Compute' because Hosts periodically updates 'Compute" caps through AMPQ.  Also, 'Trust' data should be from a trusted entity, Attestation server which exporting REST API.  Trust caps should also be ready scheduler filter, similar to 'Compute' cap

On Requirement#2 - A Host may be rebooted since last trust state check point, so the logic is to reuse and align on existing hosts keep-alive ticks mechanism to track if a host is rebooted_since.   Note nova knows heartbeats of all the compute nodes.

To accomplish Requirement #1 and #2, a daemon derived from SchedulerManager to periodically identify rebooted_since nodes and refresh the trust cache is any

To accomplish Requirement #3, a new json filter is derived from existing json_filter to perform nodes filtering twice if no trust req. specified by the instance

Above patches can all be turned on/off by FLAGS control without embedding code into existing nova code

Suggestion?

-Fred