[Openstack] Metadata and File Injection

Ewan Mellor Ewan.Mellor at eu.citrix.com
Mon Jan 9 07:38:49 UTC 2012

The reason that XenStore was set up as a registry rather than an RPC was to make the system easier to debug.  It was felt that a registry would allow you to very easily see the current (or at least the intended) state of the system, whereas with an RPC-based system the messages have all gone by the time you notice anything's wrong.  There are tradeoffs in return of course, not least the fact that you need to build your own interlocks for indicating message receipt, as you say.

The good news is it's not difficult to build a keystore on top of an RPC system, or an RPC system on top of a keystore.  This means that OpenStack would be able to pick a paradigm, and we'd be able to implement those semantics for both KVM and Xen, even if we end up with some grungy translation to do for one of them.

So all we need now is for qemu-qa to mature!

Cheers,

Ewan.