[Openstack] Metadata and File Injection

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Sun Jan 8 22:13:42 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 06:41:28PM +0000, Caitlin Bestler wrote:
> Is there any prospect of defining a universal agent for all virtio
> guests>? (ovirt, kvm, xen, ...)

Oh sure.  In fact there are several :-)

. qemu virt-agent (I think now called qemu-va?)
. Matahari

You could also consider the very widely used, open source, but
non-virtio and single hypervisor tools like OpenVM Tools (VMware) and
VirtualBox Guest Additions.

Then you've got Puppet and Chef which either have daemons or a way to
check in with a management server.

You might also (and on topic with the thread) look at libguestfs live.

Or vhostmd which works "in reverse" -- allowing the guest to look at
the host.

When we looked at this we concluded that there are going to be a
heterogeneous set of services that people want to expose.  One size
won't fit all.  Furthermore the transport is separate from the
service: if you want to reboot 1000 guests, you might need something
like AMQP to handle scalable, reliable message delivery, but that is
overkill when you just want to tell a guest to reboot from the host.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat