[Openstack] gerrit: basing a change on another uncommitted change

Renuka Apte renuka.apte at citrix.com
Fri Feb 17 01:09:58 UTC 2012

Hello,

What is the right way to base a change on another uncommitted change?

For example, I have https://review.openstack.org/#change,4267 based on top of https://review.openstack.org/#change,3990. I checked out 3990. Created a topic branch with "git checkout -b name". I committed my own change locally and then did "git review".

This created the right dependency between the changes, but additionally, since git review does a rebase, it uploaded a new patch set to 3990. That was not what I expected (sorry Vish), and could be pretty harmful if 3990 had received all its reviews and was ready to be merged. How can I avoid this?

Thanks,
Renuka.