[Openstack] Nova string encoding

Andrew Bogott abogott at wikimedia.org
Wed Feb 15 19:17:03 UTC 2012

On 2/13/12 8:16 PM, Andrew Bogott wrote:

> 2)  At all points where strings enter Python (e.g. commandline args)
> immediately decode them into unicode (which can unambiguously contain
> all possible 8-bit encodings.)

For example, this patch (https://review.openstack.org/#change,4209)
resolves the nova-manage case of bug 931667.  That suggests that the
internal code handles unicode just fine (for this particular case, at
least), so we may not be as far out in the weeds as I feared.

Nonetheless, we need a policy and a comprehensive implementation of this
policy.  (e.g. the same problem remains if I add a user via Horizon.)

-Andrew